Needless to say, the influence of the internet has drastically changed how we work today. More and more, employers are recognizing the benefits of remote employment and are investing in this arrangement. Whether it’s to gain access to more talent, to save on the expense of leasing office space or otherwise, more employers are seeing the trade-off of remote work as net-positive.
The challenge with this change, however, is how to manage the risk… or in others, manage employee time, productivity and minimize the cost of labor. At 941 Timekeeping, we have simple, affordable tools that can help solve that problem.
Tracking Time for Remote Employees
There are many ways to track employee progress. One of the core metrics employers inherently use is tracking time. Traditionally, employees use a timesheet. But this has not always been practical or economical. Fortunately, through technology, tracking time is no longer difficult or inconvenient. With automated timesheet technology and online scheduling, the task has been greatly simplified.
Here’s a brief list of some features to simplify the management of your remote employees:
- Clock in/out through your web browser or mobile device – Consistent clocking in and out is the key element of time management and labor savings. Today, your employees can conveniently clock in through any browser or a mobile device in a couple of seconds. For mobile, that can be through a browser or app. Mostly importantly, there’s no need to worry about a physical time clock.
- Employee Self Service Portal – Today, it’s common for employees to have access to an “Employee Self Service” portal where they can conveniently manage their time, whether that’s through a mobile or desktop experience. This portal offers the ability to request time off, approve time cards electronically, add notes, view and manage their schedule, and more.
- GPS Location Stamp – If location is an important aspect of how your employees work remotely, then taking advantage of our GPS pinpoint location validation is an excellent idea. As employees use their mobile device to record punches, you can know they’re in the right place as well as on time.
- Add Notes – Allow employees to add notes for set of punches to document an exception, communicate to a supervisor or employee about a punch edit, or record other related notes.
- Electronic Time Card & Time Off Approvals – Approving time cards or time off requests has historically been a big hassle for both employees and supervisors. Now, it takes a matter of minutes. Supervisors have instant access to the data they need to approve or deny a time off request. Also, both employees and supervisors can easily sign off on time cards in a matter of seconds.
- Automated Scheduling – Creating and managing employee schedules can be an incredible drain on time. But when schedules are built through copy-and-paste convenience and easily shared through online channels, life is easier on everyone. Employees can even request and pick up shifts through automated text and email alerts if that’s an option you’d like to offer to your employees.
- See Who’s Clocked In/Out – With remote employees, it can be difficult to know if employees are on the clock or away from their desk. With an automated timesheet solution, however, you’ll know exactly who is clocked in, on vacation or otherwise through one simple screen.
Remote work is a growing trend and a wonderful thing for many employers and employees alike. Let 941 Timekeeping help you minimize the cost of wages, overtime and administration as you grow your remote workforce.